Thursday, April 14, 2011

What's Been Going On...

I'm sorry I haven't updated this blog lately - there has been a lot going on at our house! Those of you who know me personally already know this story...

The past few months have been a lot of craziness with my son in daycare.  My son B is 4, going to be 5 this summer, and he has been at the same daycare center for years, since he was a baby. Since he moved up to the Pre-K class he is clashing with another child in the class.  Instead of watching closely to see what was going on between the two kids, the school is claiming he has behavior problems. This resulted in countless complaints from the school, calls to me, tears from my son, etc. It has been a rough road.

Through the suggestion of the school and a friend, we contacted early intervention to do an evaluation for him.  I figured if he truly was having behavior problems like the school was claiming, he would get help, and if not, then we would know for sure. After two evaluations, and a few months of waiting, he has an IEP for behavior and emotional delays.  However, the therapist told us that she did not see anything during either evaluation - that everything that they based it on was the written evaluation from the teacher. It is frustrating because I don't see the same behavior problems, and certainly not a lack of emotions and compassion like the school is claiming.

The school did not seem willing to work with us and they seemed to be losing their patience with B. He started crying every morning, and going so far as to make himself so sick that he couldn't go to school. Every day I would wait for the awful reports from the teacher and feel incredibly guilty that I had to leave him with someone that clearly did not like him or want to help.

Last Friday, B cried all morning that he did not want to go to school.  I told him to hang in there and go for one more week and then he will be able to start his new school. He started yelling at me that he wanted to go for "no more days!" I made a decision to switch him to a new center, and called last Friday to set the date for him to start this coming Monday. Less than an hour after calling the new center, his old school called and said that he was out of control, hitting kids and teachers. I made the decision then that I was going to pull him out of the school.

I went to pick him up that day and was disappointed that we were not able to leave on our own terms. He wanted me to leave notes for his friends with his phone number so they would come over and play, and I wanted him to say goodbye. Instead, it ended much more messy... although I talked to the director and found out that he can still do his pre-k graduation with his friends, which is the main reason we held out to begin with.

He started at his new center this Monday and he is doing great! He is already making friends, and both teachers that he has during the day say that he is wonderful. He has yet to start his services with early intervention, so hopefully once they come we will find that he is alright.

Long story short, I have not been able to focus on this blog or my personal goal of paying off any of our bills or saving. I am the type of person that needs to focus on one problem or issue at a time, and this one with B's school really threw me. It consumed all of my thoughts, effort and emotions.  Each night I was coming home from work and collapsing once B went to bed because I was so emotionally drained.

Hopefully now that this school situation is resolved I can have a new beginning and start working toward my goals!

1 comment:

  1. Christen -- you are an incredible mom and friend. You take care of life -- we will still be here when you're ready. B and you come FIRST. Lots of love and support to you, my dear. I'm so glad things seem to be going much better and hope that the smooth roads continue ahead.